CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Fond Farewell

When I started this blog I wanted to explore the borders of public and private. It seemed like quite an adventure. However, what I have learned in the past days is that there is a serious side to this. As is my wont, I set out full of hope and excitement and in joyful expectation of the learning that lay ahead, little imagining the mischief some may make of this. I wish wisdom would join me as a travelling companion. Or even common sense. I was aware that 'putting myself out there' would expose me to critical scrutiny but I did not anticipate it would also expose me to personal scrutiny and attack. This has been salutary.

This blog was an academic production - even the posts about my life outside study and the academy were included because I felt they contributed to my project. It was a way of 'doing' reflexivity. I have looked again at my aims and I am pleased with them and I have learned a great deal by addressing them. I will certainly include an account in my thesis of my blog-keeping days and how it has expanded my understanding.

As you may have gathered by now I will no longer be keeping this blog. I did consider keeping it because, in the end, a bit of venom can actually act to fortify one's immune system. However, I did a posting yesterday and was aware that the happiness and joy I had felt in keeping it was no longer there. I actually closed it down for a day or so. But what I have decided is to leave it there in cyberspace so I can use it in my thesis - tinkering with it now and then to keep it 'active'. I'll close it down when my thesis is done.

1 comments:

Pseudo Super mum said...

Oh, you stopped blogging! Just when I'd found your blog and thought, at last, another 50-ish PhD student with teenage sons ... then I realised I was looking at what was clearly intended to be a final posting.

I wonder if you've finished the thesis yet? I graduated, with pride, last December, but I don't yet seem to have stopped researching.

All best wishes with your own journey.